I am not a fan of raw vegetables. Wait, let me reword that. I’m not a fan of raw vegetables unless they’re covered in some sort of dressing or sauce. I could eat cooked veggies all day long, but rabbit food pure rawness just isn’t my cup of tea.
So if there’s a recipe that can make raw vegetables taste like candy, I’m all over it. I’ve had broccoli salad a few times before, so I knew exactly what I wanted to do with the ginormous bag of Mann’s broccoli I picked up from the store yesterday. I’ve seen a few different versions of broccoli salad recipes, but I tweaked mine a bit and love the result.
Sweet Broccoli Salad (yields 6-8 servings)
- 1 pound raw broccoli
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, cut into quarters
- 3 slices (regular or turkey) bacon
- 1/2 cup canola-based mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup honey
- the juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Begin by frying bacon on medium heat for 1-2 minutes per side, or until crispy. Set bacon aside to cool.
2. Cut broccoli into smaller, bite-size pieces. Combine with raisins and dried apricots.
3. Whisk together mayonnaise, honey, and lemon juice to make a dressing. Season with salt.
4. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture and combine. Make sure everything is coated, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving to let the dressing soak in (I let mine sit overnight).
5. Crumble bacon and combine with broccoli mixture immediately before serving (so that it stays nice and crunchy!).
6. Dig in!
Other great additions to the salad are:
- golden raisins
- sunflower seeds
- chopped red onion
Not only is this salad delicious, but it’s so easy to make – perfect if you’re looking for something to bring to a summer barbeque – or just looking for a tastier way to squeeze in some veggies
- Do you like raw veggies? What’s your favorite way to eat them?
- Don’t forget that my NuNaturals giveaway ends today at 5pm EST!