This is about as simple as it gets. 2 ingredients, can be made in less than 20 minutes, and no oven or pots/pans necessary.
inspired by Creamy Avocado Pasta from Oh She Glows
1 spaghetti squash
1 (very ripe) avocado
seasonings of choice – I seasoned simply with salt and pepper
Cook spaghetti squash either in the oven (will take much longer) or microwave (see instructions below). Place cooked squash in a medium-sized bowl, set aside.
In a separate bowl, mash avocado with the back of a fork. You can add your favorite oil to thin it out, but I like leaving it a bit on the chunky side.
Add mashed avocado to spaghetti squash, and combine well. The squash should still be hot and melt the avocado almost into a sauce. Season to taste.
5 steps to microwaving spaghetti squash:
1) Poke squash about 10 times with a fork. Place it on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 6-8 minutes (the larger the squash, the more time needed).
2) Once the squash is softened, remove from microwave and cut in in half long ways. Be careful, it will be hot!
3) Let squash cool for a few minutes, then scrape out all of the seeds.
4) Place halves skin side down back in the microwave, and heat for 8-12 minutes (once again, depending on size of squash and how soft you want the “spaghetti” to get).
5) Let cool for at least 5 minutes, then scrape out the “spaghetti” with a fork into a bowl.
I LOVE this meal. It’s simple and healthy, but so filling and SO tasty! It would be great with some grilled chicken thrown in too.
Don’t get me wrong – I love myself a nice big bowl of real pasta. But I also really love the taste and texture of spaghetti squash, so it’s a great healthy alternative…especially when smothered in avocado. So if you’re an avocado freak lover like me, you’ll definitely enjoy this too.
What’s your favorite way to eat avocado? Do you ever make spaghetti squash?