#LEAN14: creamy avocado spaghetti squash {+ how to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave}.

This is about as simple as it gets. 2 ingredients, can be made in less than 20 minutes, and no oven or pots/pans necessary.

Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash

inspired by Creamy Avocado Pasta from Oh She Glows

ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash
1 (very ripe) avocado
seasonings of choice – I seasoned simply with salt and pepper

directions:

Cook spaghetti squash either in the oven (will take much longer) or microwave (see instructions below). Place cooked squash in a medium-sized bowl, set aside.

In a separate bowl, mash avocado with the back of a fork. You can add your favorite oil to thin it out, but I like leaving it a bit on the chunky side.

Add mashed avocado to spaghetti squash, and combine well. The squash should still be hot and melt the avocado almost into a sauce. Season to taste.

5 steps to microwaving spaghetti squash:

1) Poke squash about 10 times with a fork. Place it on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 6-8 minutes (the larger the squash, the more time needed).

2) Once the squash is softened, remove from microwave and cut in in half long ways. Be careful, it will be hot!

3) Let squash cool for a few minutes, then scrape out all of the seeds.

4) Place halves skin side down back in the microwave, and heat for 8-12 minutes (once again, depending on size of squash and how soft you want the “spaghetti” to get).

5) Let cool for at least 5 minutes, then scrape out the “spaghetti” with a fork into a bowl.

Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash

I LOVE this meal. It’s simple and healthy, but so filling and SO tasty! It would be great with some grilled chicken thrown in too.

Don’t get me wrong – I love myself a nice big bowl of real pasta. But I also really love the taste and texture of spaghetti squash, so it’s a great healthy alternative…especially when smothered in avocado. So if you’re an avocado freak lover like me, you’ll definitely enjoy this too.

**********

What’s your favorite way to eat avocado? Do you ever make spaghetti squash?

Comments

I love spaghetti squash so much! With some pesto or marinara sauce and grilled salmon. It tastes so decadent, but it’s a healthy meal, that’s the dream ;)!

Oh man, I could eat avocado on everything. But my favorite way would probably be gold old fashioned guacamole with tortilla chips.

3. Alex K. says

I always shyed away from avocado. I didn’t care for the texture of it. But, THEN, someone convinced me to try it on a piece of toast like butter and a little sprinkle of salt. I will never be the same! :)

Wow this is a great recipe! And thanks for the tips on how to cook the squash in the microwave!
    I think I’ll make this tonight :)

I looove avocados, and make homemade guacamole almost every week as a treat for my roommate and myself!

so I definitely made this once and added garlic to my avocado sauce… the recipe called for one clove of garlic… instead I added the whole darn garlic (all million cloves and all). And almost puked. Lesson learned.

Oh man, I’ve made exactly two things from Oh She Glows: The Green Monster (duh) and that avocado pasta which was one of the best things I have ever eaten… but I’m a vegetable lover over pasta so this sounds AMAZETOWN. stealing. thanks ;-)

7. chacha says

LUV-this recipe going to make tomorrow w/avoc. broc. lem. jce. I cook all my squash in the micro. so much easier tks for a great recipe and will check the rest of your recipes.