the 7-minute workout.

A reader recently shared this workout as part of her goal for LEAN14 (thanks Dawn!). I was so interested when I learned more about it, so I wanted to share it with you! LEAN14 is all about small changes and attainable goals, and what’s more attainable than a short 7-minute workout?

Basically the workout is a form of HIIT, engaging the large muscles in your upper and lower body.

As for the shortness of the workout, according to work by scientists at McMaster University and other institutions, “even a few minutes of training at an intensity approaching your maximum capacity produces molecular changes within muscles comparable to those of several hours of running or bike riding.”

Read more about the 7-Minute Workout here.

**********

What do you think about the 7-Minute Workout?

Do you think it’s bologna that it can be so effective in such a short amount of time, or do you agree with the HIIT premise?

Comments

1. Alex K. says

I’m torn on this. I think it can be effective as long as one incorporates other workouts in on different days. If one was to do this 7-minute workout everyday I don’t think it would be very effective. For the first few days one would probably feel it but your body becomes familiary with the same workout done over and over again and that keeps the body from changing.
    Personally though I LOVE the option for a short workout! I’ll give this a try but will still incorporate other workouts. :)

Good point(s)! I personally would incorporate this with other workouts. I also think it depends on the person – for example it would probably be much more effective for someone who has gone from NO exercise to this – but not necessarily as much for someone who regularly exercises!

I like the idea of this, but I think I would repeat it twice or three times for a longer workout. It reminds me a lot of the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workouts, which are closer to 30 minutes — they incorporate strength, cardio and abs, and are very effective!

I actually really like the concept of this. I think it’s important to remember that a short, intense exercise is better than none at all. And who doesn’t have 7 minutes to spare?
    Personally, I’d probably just squeeze this in a few times a week along with other exercise. (:

I do like HIIT workouts and believe they are very effective, however, I am not sure about seven minutes. I would incorporate this into my day if I didn’t have time for a full workout and wanted to add in short bursts 3-4x a day. Or, sometimes I like to do a quick workout first thing in the morning to get my body moving.

HIIT all the way! I’m starting Shaun T’s T-25 and it’s the same idea as Insanity (which I loved) but instead of an hour you go for 25 minutes–no breaks. I definitely believe it’s all about how hard you work, not how long.

I love the concept that you can get through a total body burner in just 7 minutes but definitely incorporated with other things. I love HIIT though– if you push it, you don’t have to workout all day!

Haha my dad was literally just talking about this! At least I’m pretty sure I think it was the same…

This will sound odd, but this is harder work for me than a long jog. I tend to do lots of “garbage miles” without much intensity. It would be more fun for me to run 10 easy miles than to do a 20 minute interval workout.

It’s a really great idea and I should probably do these workouts more often on days when I can’t do a long workout.

I’ve been doing this workout for a few weeks and it is definitely not enough on its own. I’ve been using it mostly as a get out of bed and start the day off right tool. I’d also like to share a tip: When I first heard about this workout, I was using a regular old tabata timer to complete it which was clunky. Recently, I discovered that there are several apps created specifically for this workout, which makes it much easier to do. Some of these even have audio transitions, so you don’t even need to look at your phone. Hope this helps!