the little things.

Last year, Jessi and I started a tradition of meeting on the first of every month to pray and decide on a theme for the next 30 days. It really helps us to be present every day and intentional about what we think, say, and do. It’s amazing how something so simple can be so…well, life changing.

The theme for this month is the little things. More specifically, that the little things are actually the big things.

To me, this holds a couple of different meanings. First of all, we agreed that we want to be the type of people that show acts of kindness, no matter how “little” they may be.

Talking to the lady who we see every day at the corner deli. Complimenting strangers. Sending a simple encouraging text to someone.

I’ll be honest – in New York it’s easy to become jaded to those things. To avoid talking to people. To stare at the ground while walking. It’s crazy how much those little changes can make such a huge difference in my life, and hopefully in some small way in the lives of others.

Another reason the little things holds meaning to me is because I far too often find myself being preoccupied with what I think are the big, more “important” things. I find myself in a state of discontentment until X task is done or X goal is met. But the thing is – those goals/timetables/responsibilities will always be there. And I don’t want to miss the smaller, more meaningful things in life because I was too busy to even notice them.

Do you have any sort of theme or mantra for January? If so, what is it?

Comments

1. Amy says

Gracie, this is so inspirational! I am going to try and pay more attention to the little things this month as well. Thanks :)

I love this month’s “theme”! I’m really going to make an effort to focus more on the little things…I get caught up all too often in things beyond my control, and things that I deem to be a big deal, but actually aren’t. I hope to notice the small, but equally important ‘little things’ and not let them slip by!

I LOVE this post and I LOVE your theme, I may even join you in trying to live up it to these next 30 days… & you know what they say, it takes 21 days for something to become a habit. So maybe this will become my new “normal”. I too find that myself am too often overlooking the “little things” or stressing over the “bigger things” and forgetting how special a simple hello or a smile can be – thank you for sharing!

Love the theme, completely inspiring. I usually try to create a set of goals for the month, but I’ve been having a little burnout on that recently. I might try focusing on a theme for each month this year, little moments is definitely brilliant for January. Good luck on your journey this month! :)

I used to do the same thing with goals for each month…and it also lead to me feeling burnt out and like I was never measuring up to what I set for myself. I’ve found that a theme/mantra definitely lends to the same motivation as goals, but without an ounce of guilt! Not that goals are a bad thing, but I think sometimes we do need to go easier on ourselves, you know? :)

That is great! Such a good theme to think about too, so often I focus on the bigger picture which is good sometimes…but a lot of times I miss the little things too.

Loved this post! I like the idea that you get together with your friend the first of each month, rather than waiting for the new year to think of theme/mantra/resolutions. I think people get really caught up in setting huge goals for the year and it’s so hard to measure and keep track of. Little by little is the way to go :) Thanks for the idea!

The little things are SO important…to put it simply. At this time (new year) most of us are thinking big- what are our goals for this year? I enjoy your theme of the month idea. My theme is to take a step away from media every now and then. The virtual world can become a dangerous addiction :-)

Love your blog (I’m new to it and now officially ADDICTED!)

8. Jenni says

So weird that I am reading this post this morning because I had the same thought last night! A coworker reminded me to appreciate the small (yet big!) things last night, like having a good, reliable form of transportation to and from work. And even more so, just having a job!
    I think this will be my New Year’s resolution, since I haven’t found one yet :)