Yesterday I baked #3 of my 101 cookie project, which also happens to be the second of four recipes from the book that I’m going to share with you. These cookie bars are literally one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten! Not to mention they made my entire apartment smell like it was Christmas time. I’ll take it.
recipe from Wendy Paul’s 101 Gourmet Cookies for Everyone
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure almond extract *
- 2/3 cup milk *
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour (process 1/2 cup almonds in food processor)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds *
directions: Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, almond extract, and milk. Combine until smooth. Fold in flour and almond flour. Mix until combined. Spread batter evenly on a greased 9×9 baking dish, lined with parchment paper and grease again (optional). Top with slivered almonds.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with remaining slivered almonds. Bake for 20-25 minutes longer, until almonds are golden and cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool completely and cut into squares.
* I actually forgot to add the milk, but they (thankfully) still turned out fine. I also used coconut extract instead of almond extract and topped the bars off with 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut instead of almonds.
These are everything a cookie bar should be – ooey, gooey, buttery, and with a slight crunch on the outside.
Clearly I chose the right recipe book for my little challenge, and – thanks to Wendy Paul herself – I’m giving away FIVE copies of the 101 Gourmet Cookies for Everyone cookbook!
here’s how to enter:
1) Leave a comment telling me what your favorite cookie is.
Two more optional means of entry:
2) Follow me on Twitter (already following me counts as a freebie)
3) Tweet about the giveaway: “I entered @alagracie’s Cookie Cookbook Giveaway! http://tinyurl.com/bsm2rkr”
***Make sure to leave a comment for each entry in order for them to be counted accordingly.***
The contest ends on Tuesday, 8/21 at 5pm EST and the five winners will be emailed the next day. Must be 18 years or older to enter, and open to US residents only.