Last Friday, a group of about 10 of us girls got together for a clothing swap.
The premise of a clothing swap is pretty simple: one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. So instead of letting those clothes you never wear rot away in the back of your closet, why not see if any of your girl friends want to do a trade-off?
For the get-together, each girl brings whatever pieces of clothing she doesn’t want/could live without. You can either specifically swap one clothing item for another, but what my girlfriends and I did was set out all of the clothes and simply “shop” on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The great thing about a clothing swap is that is doesn’t have to be just about the clothes. You can make such a fun ladies night out of it! Ours was complete with laughs, good conversation, snacks, and girlie cocktails.
And the best part? All of the clothes left over after the swap were donated to Restore – an organization whose cause is to rehabilitate survivors of sex trafficking.
Here are some more tips to do a clothing swap of your own:
- Set up each room as a different little “boutique” with similar clothing (i.e. the dress room, the jewelry area, etc.).
- Have mirrors set up for the girls to try things on.
- Provide a reusable bag for each girl to take her new clothes home in.
- Put out some old fashion magazines for inspiration and to add to the “shopping” experience.
- Take pictures! You could even do a little photo shoot of the ladies trying on their new clothes.
While we’re at it, check out my post with 10 (more) ways to be a bargainista.
Have you ever done a clothing swap? What do you usually do with clothes you no longer want?