weekend appreciation.

After a week full of 12(+) hour days, I can honestly say that I’ve never appreciated weekends as much as I do now. Other than a few chores around the house, this weekend has been void of any and all serious responsibilities.

Let’s rewind to yesterday, shall we?

After a much-needed 10am wake up, Amanda and I headed to our favorite bagel spot to round out the birthday celebration from the night before. The perfect iced coffee sealed the deal.

I’ve probably mentioned this before, but – you guys if you haven’t had a real New York bagel, you haven’t lived.

The rest of my day consisted of some GGL – gym, grocery shopping, and laundry; the last of which was my main responsibility of the weekend. I always dread doing laundry, but it turns out that my first solo laundromat experience wasn’t so bad after all. No overflowing washer machines or anything! And now I’m left with this beautiful sight.

I did come in contact with a few “laundromat snobs,” though. You know – those people who think they can move your cart around and open your machine the second it’s done running? Yeah…not a fan. Not a fan at all.

The rest of my Saturday was spent lounging around the apartment. While I sort of wish I was able to utilize the day off to do something more fun, I desperately needed the R&R. It’s only a matter of time until I adjust to my new schedule, though, so if homegirl needs a day off until then, homegirl gets a day off.

Something else I was able to do that I’ve missed terribly over the past few weeks is get my hands dirty in the kitchen. The result? Averie’s Raw Vegan Cheesecake. And it. was. outstanding.

I’d be lying if I said I was 100% confident attempting to make this treat (raw and vegan? not exactly my specialty), but it was so easy! Not to mention it’s one of those the-fact-that-this-is-so-healthy-makes-it-taste-even-better desserts.

It’s now Sunday morning, and I’m en route to the city for church – another reason to appreciate the weekend. It wasn’t an easy task finding a new church after going to the same one for all of my life, but I’ve been blessed enough to become a part of an amazing community. And, I can’t help but think that God already had that in the cards for me before I even decided to move…

Last but not least, my appreciation for Sirius XM radio has definitely hit an all time high this weekend. Apparently the internet radio option – aka the ability to listen to Sirius on my phone – is only $2.99 extra per month. And, considering I can’t even remember the last time I drove my car (ahem, other than yesterday), this is a pretty rockin’ find. Pun intended.

On that note, my train just arrived, so gotta run! Ta ta, friends.xoxo G

What do you appreciate most about the weekend? Have you ever encountered a laundromat snob??

Comments

Mmm I love NY bagels ! On my last trip to NY my mum and I found this little bagel shop just down the street from our hotel, so we went there every morning instead of the continental breakfast the hotel offered. They actually started recognizing us and remembered our order by the end of the trip :) I still crave their bagels – and plan on going there again next time I go!

Just got caught up on your bday post- I’m so glad you had a good time, love!! Confession: I am a laundromat snob, meaning that pay to get my laundry done for me instead of hanging around to do it myself. Waste of $$, I know. Shhhh, it’s a secret :)

I totally agree about the NY bagels! I grew up in NY and miss those the most. Where I used to live, there was a bakery that made pretzel bagels. Heavenly. I cannot even think of them or I’ll cry. On the weekends, I appreciate that I can spend time with my husband. :)

Sounds like such a relaxing weekend! Sometimes it’s nice not to have any plans.

I hate doing laundry too! I always put it off as long as possible. :P I’m glad I have laundry facilities in my apartment though… I would hate to deal with those laundromat snobs!

Actually just before I read this blog I was thinking, wow, I love the weekends because I have time to sip coffee and leisurely read blogs and then make a big hot breakfast :-) I’m suddenly craving a bagel sandwich!!

ITA about laundromat snobs. RUDE! :(

Oh and also totally agree about NYC bagels!

Sirius for only $2.99?! Wait, is that only for BBs? I hope it’s available for other smartphones. ;)

i gotta say the more you work the more you appreciate the weekends! they just come and go WAY too fast! haha i seriously consider my most productive weekends teh ones that involve laundry

I love sleeping past 6 a.m. (though not this morning) and spending more time with friends/family. I’ll miss that when I move so I’m soaking it up while I can.
    So glad you found a new church, that’s great!

I have my first “real job” this year and definitely agree about sometimes just needing COMPLETE REST and idleness on the weekend.
    Or, um, Monday, since I’m home sick today too!

Thank you for the shoutout, hon!! I am so glad you liked the cheesecake! Seriously, it’s very easy and am I so glad you liked it. Raw vegan desserts are so easy b/c it’s pretty hard to go wrong with cashews, agave, and many times cocoa powder but until I started playing around and dabbling in that world, I was scared too…and then this whole world opened up to me.

Glad you enjoyed the dessert!

Anyway, sounds like your weekend rocked! AWESOME :)