Maybe I should start by saying that this recipe still needs a weeeee bit more tweaking.
…Or maybe I shouldn’t have started by saying that.
Let’s be honest here. I just cannot bring myself to make something delicious without posting it STAT. So read on to find out where I think I went wrong, and where I know I went oh so right.
Coconut S’mores Bars
based on Gale Gand’s Chocolate Cranberry Graham Cracker Bars
- 12 graham crackers (double squares)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown rice syrup OR 1 cup brown sugar***
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place graham crackers in an 8×8 inch baking dish. Crush into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Toss in the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and coconut. Set aside.
- Microwave butter in a mug or small bowl for 1 minute.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the melted butter and the brown rice syrup (or brown sugar***). The result will look like a caramel sauce.
- Pour mixture over the graham cracker mixture and combine with a spoon. Make sure to coat everything.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for an hour for 30 minutes, followed by refrigerating for an hour or two before cutting into small bars.
***I’m pretty sure I went wrong by using brown rice syrup. It was my first time using the ooey-gooey sweetener, and unfortunately it seemed to be, well, too ooey-gooey. In the future I’m going to use brown sugar instead. I think that will set better than the brown rice syrup did (let me know if you try before I do!). Case and point:
However! As you’ll see below, refrigerating these bad boys seemed to do the trick. There was still a tad bit too much gooey factor going on, but it was manageable.
And when I say manageable, I mean easy enough to pick up and inhale.
Apparently I wasn’t the only one who felt this way.
I’ll probably be making these bars again very soon…not just because they were out-of-this-world delicious…but also because I think they’ll make for great holiday gifts
- Any tips for baking with brown rice syrup in the future?
- Do you have any recipes “in the making?”