With summer ending soon, this week has become clean out the shore-house kitchen week. After just a few minutes of taking inventory and contemplating recipe ideas, I ended up baking this delicious treat.
Blueberry Walnut Coconut Cake
It seems as though 99% of my baking experiments are with coconut flour, huh? What can I say…I love the stuff! This recipe is adapted from Mark’s Coconut Bread recipe. It turned out perfectly moist and not too sweet.
Warning: with 6 eggs (yes, six) and one stick of butter, this isn’t exactly an herbivore-friendly dessert. But if you’re a fat-lover like me, you’re in luck!
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 packets of stevia
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8 cake pan.
- Combine the first three (dry) ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, butter, vanilla, and stevia.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine.
- Add walnuts and blueberries. Pour mixture into cake pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing into 12-16 pieces.
I cut the cake into 16 small pieces as it’s quite rich.
For a midmorning snack I crumbled a piece of the cake over plain Greek yogurt with a drizzle of almond butter. To die.
And, since I’m pretty sure I won’t eat the whole cake over the next few days, I froze about a third of the slices.
Operation clean out the kitchen = success So far, at least. Next task: dinner!
- Is there an ingredient you find yourself always using?
- What is your strategy for cleaning out the kitchen?