I am going through a serious French toast phase at the moment, and I don’t think I ever want it to end…
Clearly I had autumn on my mind when I thought of this breakfast. I made the most delicious batch of Apple Cinnamon French Toast.
I began by making the apple topping, which includes:
- 1 small or 1/2 of a medium apple, sliced into small cubes
- generous sprinkle of cinnamon (about 1/2 tablespoon)
- sprinkle of sweetener of choice (I used stevia)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
Add all of the above to a stovetop pan and put on medium heat. Combine all of the ingredients so that the apples are coated. Cook for 6-7 minutes, or until the apples are softened. When the apples are done, set them aside and spray the pan with nonstick spray. Then soak 2 slices of bread (I used whole grain) in the egg mixture:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
Place the soaked bread on the pan/griddle and cook on medium/medium high heat for about 3 minutes per side (or until browned). And as if the breakfast wasn’t already decadent enough, I added the following toppings:
- cottage cheese (Greek yogurt would be great also)
- chopped nuts (I used cinnamon-brown-sugar almonds)
- more cinnamon
Things got a little bit messy…
…but I just rolled with it
This was pretty much the perfect way to refuel after my morning workout. I did about 60 minutes of circuit training, which included Pilates, Yoga, and bouts of cardio (jumping jacks, running in place, etc.). It felt great to move after pretty much sitting on my butt for 2 days straight!
Oh, and FYI – there isn’t going to be a Trendy Tuesday post today. I’ve been pretty caught up with work and other things, so I hope you guys don’t mind!
Time to get back to work. Ta-ta darlings! xoxo G
- What breakfast phase are you going through?
- What’s your favorite fruit topping?